Posted by: Ray | October 9, 2008


Oban looking NE from Kerrera

Oban looking NE from Kerrera


Christine Marie is now moored at Oban Marina on the Island of Kerrera and I returned early November with my friend Brian to prepare her for over-wintering there. I will resume my cruise in Spring 2009, hopefully visiting the Orkney Islands before returning back to Lymington via the West Coast of Scotland, then down the East Coast of Ireland.  

Oban Marina, Kerrera Island

Oban Marina, Kerrera Island


Oban Marina is in a fairly sheltered bay at the north of Kerrera Island.  The marina run a complimentary ferry to Oban every hour from 0800 to  2300 during the summer, but every 2 hours from 0800 to 1800 in the winter.

Brian and I arrived too late on the Monday for the last ferry, so we had the luxury of staying in a hotel near Oban Quay, joining the yacht the following morning.  

Oban Bay looking SW

Oban Bay looking SW


During the week, we scheduled our visits to Oban carefully, generally ‘sounding out’ the local restaurants with our main meal ashore at lunchtime, returning to work on the yacht with an evening snack and wine on board.

Oban has good road and public transport links to Glasgow and whilst working on the yacht, the seaplane was seen to regularly land and take off from the bay.  

When sailing in the bay, a good lookout has to be kept in the sky as well as all around.  🙂

Sea Plane at Oban, 20 min to Glasgow!

Sea Plane at Oban, 20 min to Glasgow!


During the week Brian and I prepared Christine Marie for the winter.  Sails and stackpack were removed to be sent away for inspection/cleaning, liferaft plus other equipment removed and the outboard engine winterised.

I held discussions with the marina engineer and shipwright on work to done during the winter season on engine and hull. 


Christine Marie Ashore for the Winter.

Christine Marie Ashore for the Winter.


The boatyard at the marina were very busy during the week, with several large sailing vessels lifted out for winter storage;  Christine Marie was scheduled to come out of the water early Friday morning. 

Thursday afternoon Brian and I took Christine Marie round to the fuel pontoon to fill the tank; so minimizing condensation in the tank during the winter. 

Early Friday morning, at high tide, we took Christine Marie round to the very large slipway where the hoist was waiting having been driven into the water.  We manoeuvred stern into the hoist and were lifted, pressure washed and taken to the allocated space ashore.

During the winter I find that my two small 500W heaters set to ‘frost’, plus a dehumidifier on a timer, keep the yacht very dry through the winter.

Having connected the shore power, Brian and I made sure everything was secure before making our return passage across to the mainland.  After lunch in Oban, we made our return journey home. 

Amateur Radio

The last time I managed to operate my amateur radio station GM3NDS/M, was on 80m from at anchor on Loch Ness near to Urquhart Castle with a very active group of contacts throughout the evening. 

I also operated GM3NDS/MM briefly from Kerrera Island, Oban during the week in very difficult conditions. Contact was made with amateurs in Sweden, Germany, Wales and England on 80m and 40m before conditions became too difficult. I have left the HF aerial rigged from the mast and provided the weather and wind do not bring it down! 🙂 , hope to operate from Kerrera Island during my visits to the yacht over the winter period.

Miles Completed:


Total Hours:


Night Hours:


Engine Hours:


Ave Speed (Kn):


Max Speed (Kn):


Ports Visited:


Nights at anchor  / mooring buoy:



GOOD NEWS, charity totals now over £1400.  Please help push it towards my goal of £3000.  Every little helps.

          Rethink                    Marie Curie                       RNLI        


%d bloggers like this: